First, let me first start off by saying it is a good show and has a good meaning behind it. I just felt like there were some things wrong with it. I definitely think it's a show worth watching. It has a strong meaning, that is good to hear. So if you are deciding if you want to watch it, I say go ahead and watch it and form your own opinion.
So lets jump into the reasons that threw me off:
- If you are struggling with suicide, I would not watch the show. It is a very triggering show. It might throw you off the edge. If you are someone that doesn't get bothered by this then go ahead and watch it. I have read a few articles online saying Mental Health advocates are concerned with people watching the show.
- As you probably already know the show leads up to a Hannah Baker killing herself. The show makes her suicide okay. They say nothing is wrong with her killing herself. They blame it on everyone on the tapes. In my opinion suicude is NEVER the option. And the show didn't address that. This is the biggest problem I have with this show. They make her suicide exciting. In real life that is not the case.
- Tying into reason two, the show also blamed Hannah's death on the 13 people on the tapes. Yes, they played a huge part of her death, but they are not the reason she killed herself. She is the only one to blame for her death. This is my opinion on suicide. I personally think Hannah decided to kill herself. The 13 people did not kill her. The show kept saying "I killed Hannah". If you view it that way, they kinda did. But, Hannah was the only one that decided she was going to kill herself.
- The show gave no sign on hope. I felt like they should've said something where "It will get better". They made it seem like suicide was the ONLY answer. There are alternatives to suicide. When Skye is asked about her self harm scares, she says, "This what you do instead of killing yourself". So the show does show an alternative to suicide. Which is self harm. And in my opinion that is not an alternative.
- In my opinion I did not like Clay. He bugged me throughout the whole show. He showed zero emotion and had a blank face 70% throughout the show. If it wasn't for my boyfriend falling in love with the show and my curiosity to find out what happens, I would probably stop watching the show because of Clay.
Even through I didn't like the show 100% it is a good show with a good reason behind it. Again these are all my opinions, you don't have to agree with me.
I wanted to update you guys a little. I am going to be cutting down posts because of school. Finals are coming up and I'm super stressed. I am going to be studying 24/7. So if i don't post as much as I normally do, I'm not dead, I'm just studying for exams! That being said good luck with the last weeks of school friends! I will catch up soon!